Graduating on time: 5 Tips from the Bear Facts Staff

Photo credit: Image posted to the Bethel High School 2021 Graduation Ceremony page.

Are you ready for graduation? Are you prepared for what’s coming? Do you need advice to stay on track? Well, the Bethel Bear Facts staff has some tips for you.

“We have a 97% graduation rate, which is really good, ” revealed Ms. Gee, one of the Deans at Bethel. “I think it also is about the structures we have in place. We have the Bruins institute, we have different recoveries, and Saturday school”.

If you follow these steps, you can set yourself up for an enjoyable senior year. These steps can benefit not only the seniors but also the next group of graduating Bruins. 

1. Start on Track:“…It’s hard for them [students] and so they don’t realize how important it is to start on track and stay on track,” Ms. Gee observed. “Middle school is a smaller environment, so you don’t have as much freedom as you have here.  You see all this freedom, and it goes to some people’s heads.” When you don’t start on track, it can feel like you’re playing catch-up later, which is very stressful. 
  2. Keep up with your attendance: “Attend classes on a regular basis,” Ms. Gee emphasized. “Go to class everyday: attendance, attendance, attendance”. It’s important to keep up with your attendance because you don’t get behind on school work or daily needs for school. You also get to learn persistence, engagement, and future skills. 
  3. Contact your counselor: “Check your emails, seek help when needed, because some students are afraid to seek help.” With the help of a counselor, students get to stay on track and realize how many credits they have, what classes they have to take, and progress through graduation requirements. 
  4. Plan for the future: Planning for the future helps you be ahead of the game and be prepared for anything. This gives you good advantages, direction, flexibility, and efficiency. 
  5. Make memories: To make memories, you have to make the most of your entire school year. Treasure the importance of high school like prom, pep rallys, school spirit, and events. Enjoy the friendships and take pictures to look back on and enjoy. 

We’ve been through a lot the past few years. We wanted to close this off with something positive! Enjoy everything throughout high school before you know it you will be walking across that stage preparing for another chapter of your life!