The Online Student Newspaper of Bethel High School, Hampton, VA 23666

Bear Facts News

Bear Facts News

Bear Facts News

It’s time to cast your ballot! Voting for SCA is now underway

Poster+designed+by+SCA.+
SCA
Poster designed by SCA.

Are you ready to cast your vote? Well, wait no more! The polls will remain open from Monday, October 2nd, to the end of the day Tuesday, October 3rd, so you can choose your favorites to be on the Student Council Association (SCA).

The students that are running this year are showing their Bethel pride and spreading the message that they are here to make a change this school year.

Even if the ball isn’t in your court, if you work hard and show dedication for what you want, you will get it

— Markell Watts

“If you put your mind to something, you can achieve it,” Markell Watts, a senior running for vice president, said. “Even if the ball isn’t in your court, if you work hard and show dedication for what you want, you will get it.”

Many at Bethel report they lack the motivation to get involved in anything meaningful or exciting. Having candidates who students can look up to could really transform culture, not just within one particular class but for everyone in general. The candidates believe we need to normalize students being more engaged, more in touch with themselves and our school.

I want to make it clear that my goal is to get certain information out for my class,” Kaela Jordan, a sophomore running for historian, stated. “It doesn’t have to be this [big] thing [where you say] ‘oh I want to make a huge change.’ [Say instead] okay I’m gonna make a change, but small changes can lead up to big changes.”

“Small changes can lead up to big changes.”

— Kaela Jordan

When approached by reporters, the majority of students did not know SCA elections were taking place and fewer still knew what the different positions entailed and who was even running.  In light of this, it makes sense why candidates this year are prioritizing spreading information. If students do not know what is going on, it is difficult for them toe develop school spirit and become involved in school activities and opportunities. This year, we have people running who are aiming to change this issue. 

“I’m hoping to bring more of an inclusive environment for students who are LGBTQ+,” Gary Preston, a junior running for vice president, exclaimed. “I just want to make our school feel more of a home rather than a prison.”

I just want to make our school feel more of a home rather than a prison.

— Gary Preston

Having a representative from the LGBTQ+ community running for office can create a sense of safety and inclusivity for community members. It’s valuable to have someone in office who understands and considers the unique challenges our community might encounter.

Want to see our school change for the better? It’s time to raise your voice by casting your vote. The candidates  seem motivated to enhance the student experience and inspire us to shape a better future for the upcoming cohorts. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get voting!