Students frustrated with long security lines and bag searches

Students wait to go through metal detectors at the courtyard entrance to the school.
Denise Penn
Students wait to go through security at the school entrance on the gym side of the building. (Denise Penn)

Bethel staff has tightened security in the wake of an incident on November 13th that received nationwide attention. Security has increased the sensitivity of metal detectors and started thoroughly searching bookbags. As a result, students now have to wait in long lines in increasingly cold weather to get through security at the start of the day. 

“I have to wait for thirty minutes every day,” says senior Hayleigh Redfearn. “I get cold. I take a shower in the morning, and my hair is still wet, so I feel like I might get sick.”

I have to wait for thirty minutes every day. I get cold. I take a shower in the morning, and my hair is still wet, so I feel like I might get sick.

— Hayleigh Redfearn

What prompted this change? Three weeks ago, Bethel received national media attention for a stabbing that occurred during 3rd period. On that day, a 16 year old student stabbed two of his peers with a boxcutter. It is alleged the student was acting in self-defense, and he was charged shortly thereafter. 

“It was really disappointing that it happened here and that they…really strive for, like, safety,” shared sophomore reporter Kaela Jordan. 

Last year was the first one in which Bethel employed metal detectors. They also started restricting access to school grounds by requiring students to enter through certain doors in the morning. Even before they upped the sensitivity of detectors, students found security lacking

Before the incident, students characterize the journey through the metal detectors as lax. Many describe walking into the school, holding their Chromebooks up. If the detector did go off, students had to wait for a quick search before being sent off to class. 

Students stand in line in the skinny hallway, waiting for bag searches. (Denise Penn)

The day after the event, the security process had transformed completely. Students found themselves waiting in a long line patiently until they were able to get to the metal detector. 

In interviews, students have characterized the new process as similar to waiting in a TSA line or even a line to a ride at an amusement park.  If they get into the building, they still have the metal detector to get past. If they go off, they have to wait in another line to have their bag searched or in some cases patted down. The wait has been so long that some students don’t get into their class until after the bell rings.

“If I don’t skip [the line], the wait can be up to 30 minutes.”

— Anonymous student

“If I don’t skip [the line], the wait can be up to 30 minutes,” one student shared. His classmates echoed this observation, relaying similar experiences. 

Security has been stretched to their limit, so teachers have been helping out with security by also checking students at the metal detector. This has helped speed up the process some. 

“Clear bags could speed up the process,” remarked one security guard. When asked if he felt we needed more staff, he responded with an emphatic, “Yes.” 

Given the circumstances, it is understandable that many students, faculty and staff are frustrated. However, steps are being taken to improve wait times without compromising student safety. Administration continues to encourage patience and understanding. Only time will tell if the Bethel community will find the new process adequate.

View Comments (4)

Comments (4)

All Bethel High School Bear Facts News Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• J

jason dunnFeb 15, 2024 at 10:05 am

yeah it is indead long

Reply
  • A

Auston NguyenFeb 15, 2024 at 10:04 am

Me personally I would neva skip the line unless I skip the line.

Reply
  • J

javeonFeb 15, 2024 at 10:03 am

This is a good article

Reply
  • J

javonDec 11, 2023 at 11:42 am

great article 10/10 would read again

Reply