The Online Student Newspaper of Bethel High School, Hampton, VA 23666

Bear Facts News

Bear Facts News

Bear Facts News

It’s getting harder for artists to standout in the music industry

Michael Hicks
Image of Taylor Swift performing in Minneapolis for the Eras Tour. Photo credit © Michael Hicks, CC BY 2.0 , via Wikimedia Commons

For the past few months, one name has dominated the music industry, Taylor Swift. Not only is she hosting a multibillion dollar tour, she also swept the VMAs in almost every category. For Swifties, this is a good thing, but it actually is indicative of a larger, problematic trend in the music industry.

In the last year, very few new artists have broken through and gained national attention. One notable exception to this is Ice Spice. Is this because there are just no new good artists?  That is far from the case.

Most artists receive attention for a short time before quickly disappearing from the spotlight. Take Ariana Grande as an example. She was really popular back when I was a child, but now people rarely listen to her. 

When asked about the music and artists they can relate to, students mentioned a wide range of artists. 

“Joji and Mac Miller are my go-tos,” Scarlett Coronado, an 11th grader said.They’re both communicating how they feel through songs and talk about life and their songs made me feel seen.”

Some songs can really change someone’s perspective on life and their ways of seeing the world. Some teens can say that these songs helped them through a lot of things when no one was there for them. Artists or songs can change someone for the better. 

“Over the Moon By The Marias [is my current listen] because it’s very calming,” Wendy Torres-Salas, a 12th grader, said. “I go to sleep listening to it.”

Students need music to help them navigate their daily lives, but many could be missing out because good artists have trouble breaking out in today’s industry, which is dominated by a few recognizable powerhouse stars. Next time you open Spotify or Apple music, consider looking up playlists to discover more new artists.

View Comments (1)

Comments (1)

All Bethel High School Bear Facts News Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• J

javonNov 10, 2023 at 10:38 am

I agree with this

Reply