Bruins are back: students show their spirit during homecoming week

Brandon Croslin, Sports Editor

The stands vibrated with energy as students geared up for their first Bethel pep rally in three years. As they found their seats, the sound of drums and trumpets filled the gym. The color guard danced in front of the band, while cheerleaders hyped the crowd bringing the first spirit week of the 22-23 school year to a close.

Spirit Week was a huge success, but you would not have been able to predict how successful at the start of the week. Each day had a theme, but few students dressed up. “When I asked students if they were going to participate,” Ms. Boudet reported, “Many did not even seem to realize it was Spirit Week.” 

However, throughout the week, the participation from students gradually increased. Each day became more and more of a success. For color day, seniors showed up in force, wearing all black. On throwback day, many dressed in 90s and early 00s fashion.  For senior Keyana Hobbs, the highlight was “definitely throwback day. It brought out a lot of school spirit and camaraderie through the classes.”

When it was time for the pep rally, Bethel’s first in three years, student enthusiasm was at an all time high. “I was very excited,” Dymond Terry shared. “I haven’t had a pep rally since my freshman year. I think it was something very nice for the freshman and especially for the seniors.” 

Even the staff felt swept up in the energy of the students. Mr Horton states, “I thoroughly enjoyed it and I felt like the students conducted themselves well with enthusiasm, within the lines.”

From start to finish to finish the pep rally was filled with anticipation and vibrant energy. From the cheerleaders cheering, the band and dance team in sync and bringing the fire, and the students filling the stands with excitement, it was an exhilarating moment for all.

Principal Saunders said it best when he observed, “I think this homecoming was great and was a perfect opportunity to bring all four classes together.”