Catchy-songs and relatable characters: the BHS community weighs in on Encanto

Morgan Stanislaus & Joelle Baker, Staff Reporters

Although Encanto premiered in November 2021,  this movie is still one of the most popular and talked about films in the BHS community. The phenomenal soundtrack can still be heard in the halls as students play it loudly on their headphones. What is the secret to its enduring success? Maybe its representation of people of color makes it more relatable.  Perhaps, students have connected with its moral message.

When our staff spoke with MAD Academy Principal, Mr. Blair shared that his favorite character is the protagonist: “Mirabel is my favorite because she wasn’t immediately accepted but persevered to come out on top….She was accepted by the people who really mattered like her family.”

Mirabel is my favorite because she wasn’t immediately accepted but persevered to come out on top.

Even though this is a phenomenally rated film by Lin Manuel Miranda, not everyone seems drawn in by the praise surrounding the movie from their peers. One student, who wished to remain anonymous stated, “It’s just not something I’ve gotten around to watching. I am not personally a fan of musicals.”

Throughout Bethel high school, most teenagers liked and showed personal interest in the movie. Sophomore Carly Baines had all positive things to say about the movie: “I loved the movie and how representative of people of color it was.” 

Encanto is not only an incredibly entertaining, family-friendly film, it is also a unique movie that reached people of all demographics. Mr. Blair summed up most people’s thoughts on the film, stating, “I loved it; I love a good movie with a good moral and meaning.”