Hollywood Comes to Hampton!

Mackenzie Freeman and Dallen Delk

Students across the district have been given the opportunity to participate in a film competition called Bringing Hollywood to Hampton, which is hosted by actors Jake Young and Trent Garrett. The winner will have the chance to create a short film that will be broadcast at film festivals and earn an IMDb profile. Throughout the rest of the school year, students will work with many different industry professionals.

Kecoughtan, Bethel, Phoebus, and Hampton are all participating in this competition. The first session for the script writing is coming to a close this week. For the past month, students met virtually on Tuesdays with industry professionals, who taught them how to create log lines and turn their ideas into scripts. Then, on Wednesdays, they met in-person with a teacher mentor to complete their project assignments.

Miya Sumpter

Loki, a student who assisted with the script shared, “I have definitely learned things while writing the script that I didn’t know before.”

The next phase will take place in January.  During this phase, the script writers will be working with the logistics team to help their visions come to light. Students will have the opportunity to get experience with filming security, location selection, hair, makeup, costume design, sound production, and filming. Equipment for filming will be provided by Chuck France and his team.

According to Loki, “Being a part of the production team means you are going to have more of the responsibilities in getting ready for this movie, so that means you have to be on time and ensure you are at every meeting.” When asked about the production phase, the students who worked on the script shared that they would love to be selected for the second phase.

Sign-up for the second phase of the competition is ongoing now. To be a part of the production team, all you need to do is fill out this Google Form. If you are interested in acting in the film, sign-up will be hosted at a later time. However, take note that those involved in production will receive priority when it comes to filling slots for the acting phase. Don’t miss your chance to earn a film credit and work with real-life professionals from Hollywood!