Bruin basketball teams deliver in opening week of the season

Shauntya Cox and Brandon Croslin

Varsity Girls Basketball: As we conclude the first week of the high school season in the Peninsula district, the BHS girls basketball team start off the season with 2 wins and 1 loss. They strive to keep improving their record and make a playoff run this season. 

The first game of the season came down to the buzzer against Warwick High School. Unfortunately we couldn’t pull off the win, but senior leader Jada Jackson and sophomore guard Taylor Coleman led the way for their team. Going into Friday’s game against Gloucester high school they redeemed themselves with a victorious win over the Dukes 65-15. Jackson and Coleman each scored 17 points while MIlan Brewington added a dazzling 14 points to pull off the win. 

Varsity Boys Basketball: One week into the basketball season, the BHS varsity boys basketball team holds a record of 3 wins and 1 loss. They look to keep improving on this record as they take on  the Denbigh Patriots at 7pm. 

In their first game against Warwick, the team scored 63 points while their competitors walked away with only 38 points. They repeated this performance on Friday against Gloucestor, scoring 70 points to their opponents’ 35. During one play, the team turned a rebound into a slam dunk, leaving a bent rim in their wake. Yesterday, the Bruins took on the Phoebus Phantoms, who delivered the team their first loss. 

After the opening games, Coach Brehon shared there is more work to be done. He said, “I think we’ve got to come together more as a team. We are playing together but not the way we need to play. We need everybody on board, on the same sheet of music for us to be able to beat the elite of the peninsula district.”