Hampton students plan walk out against proposed Virginia transgender policies

Morgan Stanislaus, Editor

This past Tuesday, students across Virginia have planned and participated in school walkouts to protest Governor Glenn Youngkin’s new policies regarding “the privacy, dignity, and respect for all students and parents.Protestors cite concerns about how these policies will affect transgender and other nonbinary students, concerns shared by many in the Hampton community. At all four Hampton high schools, students intend to show their support for the rights of their LGBTQ+ peers by walking out of class on Wednesday, October 5th at 10:00 AM. 

The proposed policies seem to reverse the existing rights of trans students in public schools. If approved after the 30 day period for public comment, the new measures would require trans students to use bathroom and locker rooms that align with their biological sex at birth. Additionally, it would become difficult for students to change to their preferred names or pronouns. To alter their designated names and pronouns, students would have to have parental consent and provide documentation, such as a letter from their parent or guardian.

For the parents and students who might be affected by the changes, this is little comfort. One 12th grader Madi shared, “I was already upset about him trying to pass more policies for anti-abortion, so I was surprised about this [the walk out] happening. I am for the walk out and agree with its cause.” Another student at Bethel High School said, “I want to participate in the walkout, but I also don’t want to get into trouble. The governor should either let them [transgender students] do what they want or allow them to use a bathroom specifically made for them. I don’t agree with the governor and what he’s doing.”

Along with students, some teachers and faculty members, such as Ms. Lindsey, feel as though “this policy is going to make kids hate school more than they already do. School is meant to be a safe space, and with this lack of safety, it’s going to make the students learn less, which will inevitably lower test scores. He’s [Governor Youngkin is] trying to appease the parents and it won’t help. ” Another faculty member at Bethel High School, Mrs. Lane-Ramirez said, “All students should feel safe in school… this could lead to potential bullying, unsafe environments [at home and at school], and even forms of physical harm.”

In response to the walkouts, Youngkin focused attention on how the proposed policies increase parental rights and control over their children’s education.  When ABC News asked Youngkin for comment, he stated, “…at the heart of the draft guidelines that we put out for public comment right now are making sure parents are fully engaged with their children’s lives.”

Although proponents of the policies feel giving parents more say over their children’s educational experiences is important, the members of the Bethel community seem to share the same feelings – they are skeptical if they will take our schools in a healthy or beneficial direction for trans and nonbinary students across the state. On Wednesday the 5th, it seems likely many will stand against the proposal by walking out of class at 10:00 AM.